Battery Performance and Safety
Understand thermal runaway and its implications on Battery Performance throughout the cell life cycle
This online course on Battery Performance and Safety is starting its next batch on
May 31 2020
✔ Do you want to increase the performance of batteries used in electric vehicles, portable electronics, and stationary storage applications?
✔ Do you want to improve the safety of your battery powered products?
✔ Do you want to save time, money and resources by improving your internal testing capabilities on Battery safety and performance?
✔ Are you a university or college student looking for a successful career in the Electric Vehicle, Stationary Storage, Solar, Aerospace, Defence, Consumer Electronics, Wearable industries?
✔ Are you a professional in the design, validation, quality assurance, or supply chain team of any of the industries mentioned above?
✔ Are you a business owner, or manager of a team looking to increase your knowledge in battery performance and safety?
If you've answered yes to any of the questions above, this course is designed for you.
This course is designed by a team of experts led by an ex-Tesla Engineer brought to you by MakerMax Inc. - a leading online learning platform for EVs popular in North America, Europe and Asia.
LEARN HOW TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE AND SAFETY
Image Credit - cbc.ca
Here are some of the topics that you will be learning in this course.
- What is inside a Lithium-ion cell
- Construction of different types and form factors of cells
- Inherent safety features in different cell types
- How to choose the right cell chemistry for your application in terms of safety and performance
- How does a BMS calculate isolation resistance for a battery pack
- How to go from cell level design to pack level design keeping safety and performance in mind
- Types of cell failures - internal and external
- Types of module failures - internal and external
- Types of pack failures - internal and external
- Mitigating failure propagation from cell to pack
- Understanding the mechanics of thermal runaway
- Stages of thermal runaway
- Mitigation strategies for thermal runaway
- Case study on Samsung note 7 battery failures
- Case study on Boeing dreamliner battery failure
- Case study on Battery factory fires
- Case study on Electric vehicle fires
- How to improve internal QA and testing standards learning from SAE, ISO and IEC standards
Boeing Dreamliner Battery Failure (Image credit - Boeing)
Samsung Note 7 Battery Failure (Image credit - Samsung)
Battery Factory Devastation in India (Image credit - Financial express)
BMW I3 Battery Fire (Image credit - insideevs.com)
Tesla Model S battery fire (Image credit - cdn.arstechnica.net)
DETAILED BREAKDOWN OF THE COURSE
Section 1 - Deep understanding of a Lithium-ion cell
Image credit - nts.com
✔ Learn how a Lithium-ion cell is constructed inside-out
✔ What type of faults can creep in during the construction of a Lithium-ion cell
✔ What is the role of each of the constituents of a cell
✔ How does the failure of one of these constituents affect the performance and safety of a cell
✔ Various form factors of cells including pouch, prismatic, cylindrical and button - which ones are safer?
✔ What type of faults can creep in during the manufacturing phases of a cell
✔ What are the quality checks that a cell manufacturer should be implementing before shipping cells to you
✔ How do you diagnose a failure to be caused due to field issues vs manufacturing issues
Section 2 - Variations in cell chemistry and its effect on performance and safety
Image credit - electricvehiclesnews.com
✔ Different types of chemistry available in Lithium-ion cells
✔ How does cell chemistry effect the cell performance and safety
✔ Are LFP cells safer than NMC?
✔ What about LTO cells make them safer?
✔ How does thermal runaway propagate in different cell chemistries
Section 3 - Assembly of cells to form module and packs
Image credit - NASA
✔ What are the precautions and tests to be run during the assembly phase of cells to form module and battery packs
✔ What type of errors can creep in during the assembly phase
✔ What are some of the key findings from recent battery failures that you should be incorporating in your battery design
✔ What are the precautions and tests to be run during the assembly phase of cells to form module and packs
Section 4 - Understanding Stages of Thermal Runaway
Image credit - NASA
✔ Breaking down thermal runaway into various stages and understanding what happens at each of these stages
✔ How to slow down or break the negative chain reaction to mitigate a cell failure from propagating to a battery thermal runaway
✔ Thermal runaway being the extreme failure scenario, what are some of the other failure mechanisms of battery packs
✔ How to stop a single cell failure from propagating to a pack failure
Section 5 - Understanding the cell life cycle
✔ What are the different stages in the cell's life cycle
✔ How can you improve the cell's performance and safety at each of these stages
✔ Demystifying the misconceptions
✔ What steps should a cell supplier take to reduce chances of failure during cell manufacturing
✔ How should a pack assembler arrange cells, fuse cells, package the cells into modules and a pack
✔ What precautions need to be taken during cell storage, module storage, pack storage and product storage
✔ How to qualify cells that have reached end of life for second use
Section 6 - Strengthening internal testing and QA procedures
Disclaimer - The images above show the standards that are referred to for Battery safety. They do not signify certification of the course.
✔ Learn how to strengthen your internal QA procedures to reduce the resources, time and money spent on certifications and re-certification of your battery operated products and vehicles.
✔ How to catch failures before your products reach the customers hands
✔ If there is a field failure, how to properly diagnose it so that it doesn't happen again
A FLEXIBLE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
Our learning environment is loved by our enrolees. It is intuitive to use and can be accessed through any device, a computer, mobile phone or tablet. Here is how it will help you -
- Video lectures are recorded in a face to face or lab environment with dynamic lecture slides at the backdrop. This makes the learning environment as effective as the instructor being right next to you.
- Lab exercises are showcased through videos that allow you to learn in a hands-on way as experienced instructors show you the way.
- These experiments and many more can then be conducted on hardware kits that are shipped to your address worldwide.
- Quizzes and assignments provide a checkpoint for you to assess how you are doing in the course and how far your learning has come.
- Forum and live chat support ensures that all your course related queries are solved in timely manner. Having the right guidance at the right time can make a huge difference in your understanding of the material and save hundreds of painful hours trying to find the right information yourself.
- Final exam is conducted and a certificate is provided upon passing the course requirements and exam. This is your certification of achievement which is highly regarded in the industry.
He was a core member of the Battery Hardware and Firmware team at Tesla, where he worked on the Model S refresh, Model X and Model 3 vehicles. He is now the Director at MakerMax Inc., that is enabling an ecosystem for mass EV adoption by creating products such as battery analyzers, characterizers and battery management platforms that enable the industry to create high performance and safe Electric Vehicles. He also runs popular online workshops on Battery Technology to reskill professionals and students in this field.
A FAST GROWING FAMILY OF PROFESSIONALS AND STUDENTS
OUR COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE
MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
We stand behind the quality of our courses and are confident that you will find it a valuable experience. We offer a 7 day money back guarantee on this course, so you can take it for a test run without any commitment!
CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT
TO HELP YOU FIND THE RIGHT OPPORTUNITIES IN THE EV SPACE
On completion of the course requirements, you will receive a certificate of achievement and also access to your professional page hosted by MakerMax on our EV job board to showcase your strengths, projects, and certifications to help you in finding the right opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions
ENROLMENTS ARE NOW OPEN
Enrol with a One Time Payment
OR Enrol with installments
Enrol today to get the following benefits included!
✔ Battery performance and safety course enrolment
✔ Assignments, quizzes and labs guaranteed to 10x your knowledge in an engaging, hands-on learning style
✔ Certificate on course completion with shows your credibility in the space - great for getting job offers, and project opportunities
✔ Top 10% of the class gets access to career opportunities at MakerMax and its partners in Electric Vehicles around the world
✔ Access to the alumni community after course completion with students and professionals worldwide in the EV and battery industry. A well connected network can increase your chances of success more than 50x!
✔ Q&A help and live chat support throughout the course, so you can progress with experts by your side.